Wednesday, February 5, 2014

February 3, 2014

I've been enjoying the wildlife here (e.g., dogs, cats, horses, donkeys, pigs, goats, lizards, monkeys, bugs and more bugs).  I saw 4 macacos (seguis monkeys) playing around on the telephone wire the other day.  They were too far away to get a good picture. I also saw my first wild tarantula last week.  It was the size of my hand with fingers outstretched.  I thought it was awesome. I started to get a closer look, but then Elder Sabin stomped on it and  threw a rock on it, which caused me to shriek.  Note:  the spider didn't scare me. The Elder who killed the spider did.  Thanks to a loving father who let me play with frogs, turtles, snakes, salamanders, and bugs when I was little, I think that I am immune to a fear of reptiles, amphibians, and bugs.

Things I've noticed in Brazil:

1. Alcohol is cheaper than water
2. It is really hard for me to remember the names here
3. People eat margarine like mayonnaise AND at times like ice cream (yuck)
4. You don't knock on doors here.  You stand outside the gates and clap
5. The music for carnival can be really loud at times
6. When people are baptized here, there is hardly ever a time when a baptism goes smoothly the first time. The other day one of the elders’ investigators had 5 attempted baptisms before he went all the way under the water.  (Sister Acosta has seen 8 times)
7. The other day our power went out.  It was the hottest night of my life.  We all slept on the floor outside to attempt to catch the wind coming in from our balcony door
8.  The members here go to both sessions of church (morning and afternoon) because they love it so much
9.  Standard of Excellence: 1 baptism a week (TN: 1 baptism per transfer)

10. Women kiss you to greet you, but at times instead of kissing you, they smell you

A family hoping to be sealed in the temple in a year or so

No comments:

Post a Comment