Sunday, February 16, 2014

February 10, 2014

I was thinking a lot about the Word of Wisdom this week, partly due to the fact that we have many investigators with Word of Wisdom problems but mostly due to the fact that I have been very tired recently after walking miles every day and want to be more healthy.  On Tuesday, I was feeling especially weak and after saying a prayer, I was suddenly impressed that I needed to eat more.  I initially thought that this impression was a bit strange but as I reflected on it, I realized that I truly wasn't eating much aside from the one meal (lunch) that was prepared for us by members.  I soon realized the wisdom and logic in this impression.  I guess I had been avoiding eating  much because I was afraid of gaining a lot of weight on my mission or just because I didn't have time, but how could I have any energy if I wasn't eating any food.

I was then inspired to open a Word of Wisdom pamphlet (I actually found one in English) and read it.  It stated that we should eat wholesome herbs, flesh of beasts, all grain, and the fruit of the vine.   But what really touched me was the blessing promised to those who keep the Word of Wisdom

"and all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings...shall receive  health in their navel and marrow to their bones; and shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures; and shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.  And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them.  Amen." 


The Word of Wisdom contains many things that we should not do, but it also contains things that we should do.  In order to 'run and not be weary' and 'walk and not faint', we need to follow all the principles of the Word of Wisdom.    

No comments:

Post a Comment