Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Set Apart

Sister Ashley Dyer at the church meeting location in
Shanghai with her parents and her sister Karin just after
being set apart
I was set apart Sunday morning as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints by my own father, accompanied by President Nicol, President Larkin, and President Teo.  After I was set apart, my family and I headed to the airport.  I had said goodbye to my sweet baby brother over the phone this morning and soon the time came when I had to say goodbye to my beloved mother and father and my lovable baby sister.  I was filled with excitement and love as I embraced each one of my family members for the last time in 18 months and slowly yet confidently walked into the internal airport.  I looked back one more time to see my loving family with smiles on their faces waving at me in encouragement before I turned and pressed forward.

Sister Dyer with Mom, Dad, and sister Karin, as she departs the Shanghai
Pudong International Airport
I do not know what the Lord has prepared for me over the next couple of years.  There will likely be times of trial and hardship and times of pure and perfect joy.  Although I love my family with all my heart, I know that the sacrifice of not seeing them for 18 months, or three years in the case of my brother, is small in comparison to the blessings I will both receive and give because of my decision to serve the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment