Friday, December 12, 2014

December 8, 2014

Well, last night we got the phone call, and the only Sister that has been transferred is Sister Porter, who will be returning to Abolição, where she was serving before our trio.  I will be sticking here in Mossoró with Sister Francis as Sister Training Leaders for another transfer (I've already been here for six transfers, serving in two different areas, and I only have one transfer afterwards, so I'm not quite sure if the Lord intends for me to die here or if he has another area for me at the end.  But, let's not talk about death). 

After not helping anyone enter the waters of baptism for a month, Sister Francis and I started thinking about the month of December, and Christmas.  After leadership council last week we decided that, as a present for our Savior, we want to help 15 children of God enter the waters of baptism this month.  I truly believe that we can do it. 

Presidente Soares spoke with us about our desire and how the only reason we were able to baptize 245 people last month was because we had the desire to do so.  I don't want anyone to get me wrong.  Although it may appear at times that Mormon missionaries just want to baptize people and "help them take baths in holy water", this is not the case.  I am not here to throw people in the baptismal font.  I am here to help people open the door to salvation, so they can experience the utmost joy and peace that comes from the true restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

As you might have heard, the Church has started a huge worldwide iniciative to help everyone remember the true meaning of Christmas.  They have bought the main page of youtube as well as a huge billboard in Time Square with advertisements for "Ele é o Presente" ("He is the Gift").  The website they made "natal.mormon.org" ("christmas.mormon.org") is amazing and the video on the website is powerful.  Please visit the website, watch the video, and share it with all of your family, friends, acquaintances, etc. 

Good News!  L. was finally baptized Monday.  All of the Elders in our zone with the exception of one dupla came to our area to help Sister Francis and me Monday.  The Elders found L. and were able to interview him.  All of us then went to the church with the first counselor in the bishopric and another sister in our ward and L. was baptized. 

It was truly a miracle to watch this man, with which I confess I truly did not believe would be baptized the first time we met and spoke with him in front of his house with cigarettes and alcohol, repent of his sins, change, and find peace in the true Plan of Happiness and the Atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ.  Now, he and his wife (he proposed to her the first day he met her and married her eight days later and has suffered much depression since her death seven years ago) can be sealed together for eternity in the temple.

I love all of you so much!

Sister Dyer


P.S.  I don't have my camera with me right now, but will send pictures next week! :)

Dialogue that Sister Francis had with a group of children when she arrived in the mission field:

Sister Francis: Não usamos drogas. (we don't use drugs)
Children: Maconha é uma droga? (is maconha a drug?)
Sister Francis: Não sei.  O que é maconha? (I don't know.  What is maconha?)
Children: É a folia na bandeira de Canadá! (It's the leaf that is on the Canadian flag!)
Children: Sim! (Yeah!)
Sister Francis: A folia na bandeira de Canadá?...maple?...Náo maconha não é uma droga!  Como você sabe sobre maconha? Tem maconha aqui no Brasil? (the leaf on the Canadian flag?...maple?...No maconha is not a drug!  How do you know about maconha?  Is there maconha here in Brazil?)
Children: Sim!  Tem muito! (Yeah!  There's a lot!)

Sister Francis later found out the true meaning of maconha, when her companion was able to intervene.  Maconha - marijuana. lol.  I think that it's really sad that some people think that Canada has marijuana on its flag. 



No comments:

Post a Comment